So as i mentioned earlier today(previous post)the Ice Cream Sandwich update has been taking its own sweet time to arrive on my Acer Iconia A500 tablet..
well about an hour back i lost patience and decided to do it myself using the method i mentioned .. the one from this XDA Forums post
Was a straight forward procedure:
basically i downloaded the update files(from the forum link above), that a user managed to download and zip.
1) make sure the file is called – "update.zip" if it isn't manually rename it. In my case the file's name was what it needed to be.
2) place the file on the micro sd card(check the forum for details on formatting etc.)My sd card was already formatted to spec.
3) turn off the tablet. i recommend having atleast 50% battery. in my case i left it connected to the power.
4) press the down volume key(closest to power button) and the power button at the same time untill the tablet turns on
5) the iconia will find the update files and start a process that looks like this(robot with gears and sprockets)
once that happens, it reboots .. in my case.. twice and then starts the upgrade process by itself.. nothing fancy, looks like this
nothing to do but watch and wait till it reboots.
now i have Ice Cream Sandwich, Android 4.0.3
see the whole process in this video i shot of the whole process(well most of it):
only disappointing thing was not finding a "move to sd" option, under settings for apps..
was hoping that would be there.. missed it in honeycomb.
is there an app2sd app for ics?
UPDATE: June28 2012
sk8erfreak540 on youtube asked if i backed up my data before doing this.
Which is a good thing to do.. so i thought i'd mention it here.
i didnt backup anything .. coz this isnt my phone, i have no contacts or anything that needed backing up..the big games, save onto the sdcard(partition on main memory) which is not affected by this. later i realised that the game saves might have gotten messed up.. but as it turns out game saves were not affected.
UPDATE: Jan04 2013
Was getting frustrated with the bugs after the ICS upgrade, so decided to do a factory reset and go back to old honeycomb that worked so smoothly.
It did the factory reset… but gave me a fresh and bug free ICS instead of honeycomb !
Have to reinstall all apps, but its OK.. I chose not to reinstall a bunch of stuff and now have loads of space 🙂
Been a month now. .. no bugs yet. Think the issue was with doing a upgrade with all the apps installed.. that causes all the bugs.
Also started using Apex launcher since 2weeks.. the skins available are beautiful give it a shot. Never going back to the stock launcher 😉